So I just looked at our wedding wire account and we have 290 DAYS until #BecomingBandoh17! Yo! What is life?! In 290 days I will be officially married to the most AMAZING man on our planet! I seriously cannot wait 🙂 In honor of my excitement and joy about marrying my bestfriend, I am going to post every week (well, you know, try at least) and give you guys updates on the wedding planning. This week’s #weddingwednesday post is all about my man!
I met Kwasi my senior year of college after I became a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (yes he is an Omega). We always say that Greek Life may have brought us together, but our love for each other and our want to be together kept us together. The laughter and the love that you see in this picture is REAL. There is no one else that can make me laugh and smile they way that Kwasi does. So, here are 5 things that I absolutely LOVE about Kwasi!
- He is my bestfriend! My bestfriend was murdered in the Summer of 2014. Kwasi was there with me when I got that call. From that day forth, Kwasi has never left my side and does his best to make sure that he is always there to listen to me,to bounce ideas off of him, support me, and most importantly let me know when I am wrong.
- He supports me and our family! Kwasi is the hardest worker I know. Kwasi worked seven days a week for this entire summer just to make sure that our family had everything that we needed. It was tough not spending much quality time with him, but I appreciate and respect his drive and motivation.
- He is an AMAZING Father! From the moment we found out I was pregnant, Kwasi has been head over heels for our son. He took such amazing care of me during my pregnancy and was my saving grace during my labor and delivery (i’ll share this story one day!). From the moment Kaleb entered the world, and even before, Kwasi has bonded with him in a way that only a loving, active, and present father could. Being a father has changed Kwasi and so many beautiful ways and I am grateful to God that I get to watch him father our son.
- He supports me! No matter what crazy ideas I bring to the table, Kwasi is always up for the challenge! He is very business-minded so he always gives me the missing pieces to my plans. He loves that I blog and supports me by holding me accountable, keeping me on schedule, and reading my post (yup, every single one!). When I am at the lowest points in my life, here is always there to pray for me, give me an encouraging word, and believe for me when I can’t do it for myself.
- He’s SEXY! Okay so ya’ll know I was not about to write this list and not include this! Kwasi is the most attractive man I have ever laid my eyes on. His beautiful smile and his amazing chocolate skin are my favorite! Beyond looks, Kwasi’s humble demeanor makes him all the more attractive. He has a beautiful soul and it humbles me to just be in his presence.
Hopefully I didn’t gross you guys out too much lol. I just think it is very important that us women show our men how much we love and appreciate them on a daily basis. I am by no means perfect at this, but God continues to shine in my life because of this man. I am so grateful that God chose this man for me. Kwasi was the man I never knew I was praying for and I know it is so easy to see someone else’s relationship and think they are “perfect” or “that can’t happen for me” or whatever else, but I just want to encourage you to see things differently!
First and foremost, it is important for you to understand that no man (or woman for my guys) can love you the way that GOD loves you. Do not look for or expect for your significant other to be your God. Heather Lindsey (check her out here!) always says that her Husband is a great Husband, but a terrible God. Your significant other is the human expression of the love that God has for you, but they are NOT your God. By that I mean, they cannot “fix” or “heal” in their own power and strength. God can equip them with tools and grace to help you, but him/her cannot do it on their own. Most importantly, if you are single, ENJOY IT! I know you’re thinking, well Ivory that is easy for you to say because you have someone, but I am speaking from experience. I was once single (and in God’s eyes until Kwasi and I say I do, we are still single) and I have been hurt, lied to, cheated on, and even hit. So I have been right where some of you are, but the one thing I learned from all those experiences is that you do not need to try every flavor M&M to figure out you like the brown ones (which I LOVE 🙂 ). Meaning, if you know what you want and what you need in a significant other and you feel like the people you have been involved with in the past or even the person you are involved with now is NOT where you should be then you need to take a step back! Spend some time with God and really figure out what he wants for you. Where he wants you to go. Don’t be in a rush to get there either. Because I am telling you, everyone wants the love, joy, and happiness, but no one wants to put in the work. It takes A LOT of work to be in a relationship and a successful one at that. I can say trying to love someone the way that God wants me to love them is HARD. You have to step outside of yourself and truly embrace the wants and needs of another person and that means ALWAYS. Even when you don’t agree, when you don’t feel like it, when you feel like they aren’t doing it for you, when you feel like they don’t deserve it, and even when you’re angry, hurt, or sad. You have to love through all of that and it is HARD. But when you find the person who is willing to put in the work with you that is the person that you need to be with!
I say all of that to say, thank you Kwasi. Thank you for always being there for me. In the highest of the highs and lowest of the lows you have never abandoned me. You have made me feel physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe. You have never defined me by my past or even the mistakes I make daily. You love me not for who I am, but for who God says that I am. You continue to strive to be a better man each and every day and I admire you for that. You support and encourage me in a way that I have never experienced. You truly believe in my dreams, my ability, and my talent. You know and see my worth and never question it. You pray for me and with me. You hold me accountable to my words and are not afraid to tell me when I am wrong (lovingly of course lol). You are my bestfriend and inspire me to be a better me. You push me to be great because you know that I can be. Even when I want to settle you never let me. You have vision and purpose. You see things that I cannot see and for that I will follow you. I will submit to you and your mission. You also have no issue following me or allowing me to shine. Because when I shine, you shine! You are my biggest cheerleader and you are always in my corner. You are my partner, my friend, my love, but most importantly, you are my answered prayer. I love you and I cannot wait to become Mrs. Bandoh.
Dang ya’ll. I am going to have a hard time topping that on out wedding day! Lol. I hope you guys enjoyed this post and were able to get some encouragement for your own relationships or future relationships. If you ever have any questions about Kwasi and I’s journey or my single journey please feel free to ask! Let me know if you want to see more relationship advice on the blog! I may even do a His and Her section (idea moment!) so that the guys out there can feel the love too lol! As always, remember to flourish!